A GLOUCESTER LANDMARK
AN IMPORTANT HISTORIC BUILDING, RESTORED TO
IT'S FORMER GLORY
To see more information regarding the history and the work involved in the restoration of the Lock Warehouse, visit the Lock
Warehouse Facebook Page here.
One of the first warehouses to be built in Gloucester’s historic docks, the Lock
Warehouse was originally constructed in 1834 for J&C Sturge, the leading corn
merchant of the day. It was originally used for storage of grain and wine during
Gloucester’s maritime heyday as one of the UK’s most important trading docks.
Following J&C Sturge’s construction and occupation of the Lock Warehouse in
1834, the building was then used in the late 1880s by corn merchants Spillers &
Baker. By 1920, the building was occupied by Gopsill Brown & Sons, a firm
whose business was the hire of sacks. Gopsill Brown & Sons moved to new
premises in 1957 and the warehouse was subsequently purchased and used as a
builders merchants by Jennings & Guildings. In 1979, the building was
converted for use as a premises for antique furniture restoration and sales by
Gloucester Antiques Centre.
2011 MELT Property Limited. All rights reserved.
Lock Warehouse, 1 Severn Road, Gloucester, GL1 2LE, Tel : 01452 457 500